Sunday, April 28, 2013

the things that are most excellent

in case you are wondering at the title of my post, here is an excerpt from the poem I am quoting:

In faultless rhythm the ocean rolls,
A rapturous silence thrills the skies;
And on this earth are lovely souls,
That softly look with aidful eyes.
Though dark, O God, Thy course and track,
I think Thou must at least have meant
That nought which lives should wholly lack
The things that are more excellent.

I can't help that sometimes when I am thinking about things in my life, poetry comes to mind. Does anyone even read poetry besides dorks like me anymore? Probably not.

The poem, in a nutshell, says that there's lots of things that seem to be important in life, but really the things that matter most are the simple things--nature, love of family, friendship, etc.

This is on my mind because today I had sort of one of those difficult days that come upon me every now and again. It's kind of been a rough week honestly. I've been in quite a bit of physical pain and I've felt lonely. I talked to my Mom on the phone and I cried and felt sort of pathetic and pitiful. And then I feel bad for making her worry about me. Mom, if you're reading this, don't worry about me. I'll be okay. Some days are just hard. And when you have a two year old, a lot of days are hard. (sorry to those friends that think this is a mean thing to say about my two year old. I used to think moms who said stuff like that were jerks and didn't love their kids. Now I know that moms who can admit it are very much in love with their kids, just honest and worn out and, hello, they have a two year old).

So my mom tried to give me advice--honest to goodness some of the worst advice she has ever given me. It was so bad I burst out laughing and then she did too. She told me to do a cheerleading routine, "go meeee!!!" whenever I feel bad. She was in the middle of her self esteem cheerleading when I couldn't hold it in anymore and just started laughing. what would I ever do without her cheesy advice (most of which is actually really good and helpful) but some of which includes telling people that sticks and stones may break your bones sort of stuff. :) I know the day will come when I will be lost for words and I will find the exact same thing come out of my mouth. I know because it has already happened many other times. things like, "because i'm the mom." and when asked what we're having for dinner, "I'm making food." what kind of food?? "good food." What kind of good food? "Good food for dinner." ha I hated when she used to do that and now I do it to torture my kids.

but I digress, my Mom followed the bad cheerleading advice with good advice. she told me that since I had listed a bunch of bad things, now it was time to list the good things. and suddenly that poem was in my head. the things that are more excellent. and here are the things that I should have said (but had a hard time getting out over the lump in my throat):

my really lovely daughter who is one of the kindest funniest five year olds i've ever met


that two year old I talked about earlier who also happens to say please and thank you automatically and who thinks that jumping on my back and covering my cheek in kisses is really fun

my husband who puts up with a lot and does the dishes and has never been one of those dads who was on the sidelines of this parenting gig. he is the dad that can handle his kids at home and out in public and in the grocery store and everywhere in between. John is my number one most excellent thing.

health (when I have it). a stable job for my husband. a safe home. food. laundry machine. health insurance. church (even though I had to teach nursery today ha). my cool siblings. encouraging friends (they may live far away, but I know they are out there). and let us not forget bagels.

these are my things most excellent. and sunday feels like a good day to remember them.


5 comments:

  1. I am sorry you hurt. I think part of this must be the full moon causing doubts and anxiety.

    It is a good day to remember that excellent things will overtake the bad stuff, like paper covers rock...as in rock paper scissors.

    My best remedy is probably not much use to you either. I'm going plant shopping with friends tomorrow. That should clear out some of my cobwebs.

    loveandhugs from the Colorado part of the family that loves you dearly...and that husband and those amazing kids of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G-O-J-E-N-N! You can D-O-I-T! Do IT! Yeah (I'm nodding and winking at you) Yeah! When you think you're down, And you need to frown, just T-U-R-N, yeah, TURN, yeah, TURN that Frown UP-SIDE-DOWN! YEAH! (toe touch, lots of kicks, spirit fingers and jumping).

    I'f I had more time I would come up with something way better- but remember, 2 year old.

    I feel ya <3 Adam's been in Iceland for the last several days. I've been solo with 2 year old and 12 week old. And I am not a very graceful or competent mom. Until Finn is like 6 months old I am soooo out of my league.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post. I am glad to know I am not the only one who has days where I want to cry all day long. This is why my children go to bed at 7pm, because I would probably do more harm to them (especially when Chris is out of town) to them if they aren't in bed and I don't get a break! Try to find something you truly enjoy and do it DAILY! Even if it is 15 minutes each day! Have you tried taking a walk around the neighborhood...as cheesy as it sounds, a little fresh air goes a LONG way...at least for me. Hang in there, you are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have these sort of days... For me it's months! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your post title was going to be a reference to Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure... :)

    I think because we have two little boys so close in age that I can relate so much to you. Sometimes I feel like a horrible person because I don't often enjoy motherhood right now (but I do love my kids!) and I get frustrated with people who want to give me advice that's so cliché when all I want is someone to say "I get it. I've felt the same too. Being a mom sucks sometimes." I think we need that, so thanks for sharing because it always makes me feel more normal and okay about my ups and downs. We all have them but so many people don't ever want to let people see the downs. So thanks for keeping it real.

    ReplyDelete